Superbooth 2017 was the largest organized synthesizer event ever. Gear heads, and manufacturers come together to showcase the very best new releases, electronic music performances and workshops. This year we also had our first Indian Synthesizer and outboard pedal manufacturers, Animal Factory Amplifiers grace the event. Here are our seven favorite releases from the event
1. Dreadbox NYX Synthesiser Module
The NYX Module is Dreadboxs’ hundred percent analog two oscillator paraphonic synth. it comes with a variety of patchable modes and an on board reverb(digital) effect.With a single key depressed, both oscillators play the selected note, whereas when two keys are pressed, OSC 1plays the low note and OSC 2 plays the higher note. It can also be set to unison mode. The entire right-hand side of NYX is set up for integrating other synthesis modules into NYX’s sound shaping duties. There are nine inputs and six outputs offering integration to and from oscillators, VCFs, VCAs, gates, pulse width and more.
- Unique reverb effect by crazy tube circuits (as found on Splash Mk3)
- 2 x VCO with separate glide controls
- Dual State Variable 24 or 12dB / oct Filter
- Triangle wave LFO
- Triple Unique Envelope Generator (can be used as an LFO)
- Unique Routing control (allows open architecture)
- 15 patches for an astonishing Modular experience:
- CV Outputs: VCO2 direct wave out with attenuation control,
- Envelope 1 , Envelope 2 (with attenuation), Modulation Wheel, Gate, Midi to CV
- CV Inputs: Osc1 Frequency, Osc2 Frequency, VCF Cut off (for both filters),VCF Cut off (post for the 2nd filter), VCO1 PW, Gate, CV, VCA
2. Novation Peak Polyphonic Desktop Synthesiser
Novation‘s new 8- voice polyphonic synthesiser with three oscillators per voice and access to 17 wave shapes has definitely aroused our curiosity. It comes with a 16- slot modulation matrix, where each voice can be assigned to its own multimode filter. The synth also boasts pre and post filter distortion and it’s ow effects unit complete with a reverb, delay, and chorus. it also has an arpeggiator,a CV modulation input for integration with modular gear.
- Two ways to create waveforms – analog-sounding NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) and 17 digital wavetables.
- A colossal amount of distortion – Three distortion points for each voice – pre-filter, post-filter and global – in an analog signal chain.
- Control expression -Peak is capable of receiving polyphonic aftertouch, which puts expression right at your fingertips.
- Cross-modulate oscillators – The three New Oxford Oscillators for each voice can become a linear FM source using either the analog-sounding NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) or digital wavetables. They are also able to cross-modulate in a recursive loop.
- Huge modulation system – 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments controlled from the front panel, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing. Three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs for each voice.
- Easily switch modulations – Two animate buttons give live performers instant one-touch transformation of patches.
- Onboard effects – Reverb, delay and chorus at your disposal, and there’s also an arpeggiator.
- Connect to hardware and software – Connect and sync to your music software and MIDI-compatible hardware. CV modulation input used to slot together modular systems.
- Store unlimited sounds – Keep as many patches as you like on your Mac or PC using the Components software. Learn more about Components here.
3. Bastl Thyme Effects Processor
The Bastl Thyme effects processor is a one of a kind sequnceable digital tape machine, delay, phaser, reverb, chorus, pitch shifter, multi-tap delay, tape delay, tremolo, vibrato, compressor. Each effect is stereo enabled and there’s also a crossover between time based effects. which are broadly categorised into 9 parameters namely, Tape Speed, Delay Coarse & Fine, Feedback, Filter, extra heads Spacing and Levels, Dry Wet Mix and Volume. The heart of the unit lies in its dedicated modulation source which can be phased out differently for left and right channel. This can also be used as an LFO with many different waveshapes, external CV source or an envelope follower to enable effects reacting to dynamics. There are 8 buttons to select a preset and those presets can be sequenced by a built in meta sequencer which can also be synced to an external or internal clock.
- analog Input Gain knob up to +20dB
- 9 parameters: Tape Speed, Delay Coarse & Fine, Feedback, Filter, extra heads Spacing and Levels, Dry Wet Mix and Volume
- each parameter has a dedicated modulation source called the Robot
- each Robot is a powerfull modulation source: LFO, envelope follower, external CV
- freeze button reconfigures the signal flow to create tape loops
- link button compensates the change in Delay time caused by adjusting the Tape Speed
- tap tempo
- internal or external clock for synchronising Delay, Robot or Sequencer
- 8 presets organized in 8 banks (64 presets)
- 32 step sequencer with 4 patterns for sequencing presets
- switchable stereo/mono input
- stereo output
- stereo headphone output with volume knob
- MIDI Input and Output
- analog Clock Input
- CV input 0-5V (volt per octave for Tape Speed and Delay Time)
- footswitch jack for bypass
- hi-fi audio quality
4. Jomox Alpha Base Analog Drum
Jomox‘s new drum machine has been highly anticipated with 4 sample-based instruments with analog VCA envelope and resonant multimode filter (LP, HP, BP) with ADSR envelope, plus metal noise as a signal source. The drum machine boasts of 2 sample based instruments with external sampling input and digital playback. It works on the basis of FM synthesis that operates a maximum of four operators and 6 voices.
- 11 Instruments: Kick Drum, MBrane, Cl HiHat, Op HiHat, Clap, Rim Shot, Crash, Ride, X Sample 1, X Sample 2, FM Synth.
- Real analog Jomox kick drum.
- Real analog Jomox MBrane voice with 2 coupleable F-OSC for complex analog snare, percussion, bass and tom sounds ranging from 16Hz to 20kHz.
- 2 sample based instruments with analog VCA ADSR envelope and/or HH filter, optionally with metallic noise mixed as extra sound source. The HH filter is 2-pole, HP/LP/Res each separated parameters, peakable but not oscillating.
- 4 sample based instruments with analog VCA ADSR envelope and/or resonating multimode filter (LP, HP, BP) with ADSR envelope, optionally with metallic noise mixed as extra sound source. The multimode filter can be used as a signal generator in order to generate analog toms or sticks etc.
- 2 sample based instruments with external sampling input and pure digital playback.
- 1 FM synth with 4 operators and max. 6 voices for percussive sounds.
- Effects delay, reverb with send per instrument, also insertable into analog signal path on CH, OH, Clp, Rim, Ride.
- LFOs: per instrument one LFO (MBrane 2 LFOs) with 64 wave forms, each assignable on pitch, VCA, filter cutoff.
- 250 samples 16 Bit/48kHz in internal flash memory.
- SD card slot for loading of samples.
- USB (Midi Device).
- Midi In, Midi Out, Midi Thru.
- DIN sync out 2x integrated in the jacks Midi Out or Midi Thru.
- Inputs: stereo in for sampling, FX or sidechain. Both inputs are Hi-Z and suitable for guitar/bass or work up to line level +20dBu.
- Outputs: 8 individual balanced outputs, stereo mix balanced, headphones.
- Output Level: max. ca.+14dBu unbalanced, +20dBu balanced on all outputs.
- 18 encoders
- Input Volume is an analog potentiometer.
- Phones Volume is an analog potentiometer.
- Mix Volume is an analog potentiometer.
- LCD display 2×24 characters.
- 12V 2A DC external power supply.
- Stable metal case.
- Wood side cheeks, rubber feet.
- Size: 41cm (16.1″) x 24cm (9.5″) x 8cm (3.2″) (back side).
- Weight: ca. 3.3kg (7.26 lbs).
5. Animal Factory Amplification Primodial Synth Theory
Last but not least we have our home grown synthesiser developers Animal Factory Amplification, with whom we had the pleasure of doing an in depth interview a couple of months ago which you can check out right here. We also had the honour of demoing the synth in it’s early stages of development and this miniature desktop modular synthesizer is nothing short of an absolute beast with 100% analog functionality, using jumper points instead of 1/8” sockets to make it a whole lot more affordable than it would be otherwise.
6. Soulsby Synthesizers Oscidrum
The Oscidrum is an 8-part, 16-step drum machine for the Oscitron module. The software for the program is to be available for free.
- 16 Atmegatron patterns
- 16 User patterns
- MIDI input via mini-jack
- Chord generation via 2x V/Oct inputs
- V/Oct output
- Clock division settings
- Ping-pong mode
7. Axel Hartmann 20 Design Synthesizer
Synth Designer Axel Hartmann has launched a limited edition Synthesizer. Some of his previous work include the Waldorf synths, the MicroWave, Wave, Blofeld, the Alesis Andromeda Analog Synthesizer, the Access Virus Polar, the Moog Little Phatty and Minimoog Voyager XL, and the Schmidt Analog Synthesizer.
- Only 20 black and 20 silver will be made
- Waldorf / Sledge Synthesizer Engine
- SPL Supra Op-Amp audio technology
- Hartmann Neuron Synthesizer Sampleset
- Pure aluminium shell, milled from a massive blocl
- Collapsable, milled ultra thin aluminium panel
- Custom-built pure aluminium knobs and wheels
- Custom-built acrylic-glass switches
- Highest quality, custom-built, all black Fatar TP 8 Keybed